If you’re a coach who attended one of my 2017 Women’s Basketball Coaches Association recruiting talks, thank you! I really appreciate you devoting time to what I came to teach at the 2017 Final Four.
Because both sessions were standing (and sitting) room only, and because we had so many requests for notes from those who attended, I wanted to put all of the notes and extra resources I promised in one place below.
Here’s what I’m including:
- The full powerpoint presentation notes for both sessions, “7 Ways to Make Better Recruiting Phone Calls” and “Becoming the Best Assistant Coach Recruiter in the Country”
- Additional reference articles, research and other resources to make you an expert at what you do.
Three other things before you go:
- If we don’t work with you on a client basis, and we’ve never talked to you about what we do before, click here. We are good at what we do, and work with other D1, D2, D3 and NAIA basketball programs. If you’d like to have a conversation about what that would look like with your specific coaching staff, email me at email@example.com.
- Next time you see your athletic director, suggest that he or she brings me in to work on your campus for two days and teach the department the latest techniques and strategies, click here for an overview that outlines this comprehensive, customized training.
- Join fellow coaches from all over the country this June at the upcoming National Collegiate Recruiting Conference. It’s an unbelievable weekend. Watch this, and then save your seat.
- Finally, if you liked what you heard in our sessions, become a student at Tudor University. It’s a comprehensive recruiting training and certification program for college coaches. It’s advanced online learning, and lots of coaches say it’s the best training they’ve received when it comes to recruiting. Click here for the details.
O.K., here are the notes:
7 Ways to Make Better Recruiting Phone Calls
Why do your prospects dislike phone calls so much? Click here for some interesting insights we didn’t have time to get to during our WBCA sessions.
There are a lot of reasons we find today’s recruits prefer text messages over phone calls. Click here for the research and reasons (you’ll be glad you did).
We have a fantastic recruiting strategy podcast, College Recruiting Weekly, and you should subscribe to it (available on iTunes, Google and Stitcher). Here’s an episode that you can listen to right now that talks about how you can get your prospect to reveal the truth to you by pushing their “psychological pause” button. You haven’t heard this information before, so take the time to listen to it, Coach. Click here and be amazed.
Becoming the Best Assistant Coach Recruiter in the Country
If I could have every assistant coach in the country to read one thing that would help them understand what most smart head coaches want, and the attitude you should take into your job every day, it would be this one. Please, please read it. I think it’s the only thing from 1899 you’ll ever read that will change the way you do your job.
Looking for something that you and your staff can watch, discuss, and help change the way you all recruit for the better? Here’s a short video I did for staffs that want to understand how to recruit more effectively as a group. Click here to watch it.
Many of you have asked about the two authors I mentioned: They are Seth Godin and Jeffrey Gitomer. I suggest starting with Purple Cow by Seth Godin, and The Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer. They will become two of your favorites in your coaching library.
Thank you again for making me a part of the WBCA in 2017, Coach! If I can answer any other question, or if you just want to schedule a call to talk recruiting at your school, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.